[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Misc> Optimistic OBC Mileage

     Dear Listers,

     Forgot to mention this in my previous post....

     My actual MPG on my 88 535i is consistently about 20% less than the
     MPG stated by the on board computer.

     Questions are:

        Do all tend to overstate mileage this badly? Do some
        understate it? Is it the same for all series?

        Does anybody know how the OBC computes MPG (ie, how does it
        sense/determine engine speed and fuel consumption?

        Is there some way to tweak it so that its approximateley correct?

     Thought this might be an interesting topic, since there's a thread on
     air flow meters out there.

     TIA

     Guy Cheesman
     '88 535 w/ mendacious OBC (& balky antenna & acne'd windshield trim)