[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M42 Engine Recall Correction

Correction to my earlier post regarding reporting Safety Concerns to the
NHTSA...
I mentioned that the profile gasket problem on the M42 engine 91-93 years
should be considered for safety recall since gallons of coolant pouring out
of a car at highway speeds is a safety issue.  Besides, BMW knows its a
problem and wont issue a recall, and doesnt readily pay for it
post-warranty.  I stated that concerned owners should file a complaint with
NHTSA to hopefully get some action taken....

Correction...Failure must occur BEFORE you can file an official complaint,
per a rep on the phone at NHTSA.  If you havent had a failure, but want to
voice concern, they will happily accept letters or faxes.
Note:  Owners who have already had their gaskets replaced under warranty,
dont be too comfy..there is debate going on as to whether your replacement
gasket is a permanent fix...meaning if you hang on to your 318 awhile, guess
what....thats right...so you MAY want to consider visiting the NHTSA website
and filling out the form.

Note #2...someone mentioned that even if a recall gets issued, that does not
mean BMW will reimburse for those already fixed post warranty, out of pocket.
Not so sure this is true...I have had two cars that had big dollar failures
(VW Jetta Heater Core, Acura Integra-Igniter) BEFORE a recall was issued,
but after the cars were out of warranty.  I sent both manufacturers receipts
of repairs and promptly received check reimbursements in the mail for full
amounts.  Neither car was serviced at the dealer regularly.

Someone else emailed me that their 1991 318 profile gasket failed post
warranty and they paid for it, but they sent BMW all of their dealer
serviced receipts for the car.  BMW in "goodwill" reimbursed them for the
gasket repair.  The way I figure it, they just oughta...Add up all the Oil
Services and Inspection 1 and 2's over the course of a few years, and you
see the profit the stealer, er, dealer makes.  They can afford to
give up a few hours labor.

Ron, who was on NBC Channel 4 news at 4 today
touting my support for the Bethesda, MD Russian Massage Parlor!

Bethesda, MD
1992 318is