[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

      Shrink tubing to cover pins
      Mini ty-wraps (black)
      Cable containing two 18 ga conductors

      The following is how I went about installing the above. You may elect
to do it your way. The hood liner has a serated rectangle directly above the
(B) of the BMW logo on the valve cover. If you cut out the serated piece you
will see a simliar rectangle in the hood sheet metal below the hood liner or
above the hood liner depending how you look at things. The engine room light
assembly snaps into this  hood liner sheetmetal rectangle with its connector
end facing towards the front of the hood. The light switch mounts in the
sheetmetal directly above the passenger side high beam headlamp. You will see
a 1/4" hole and a dimpled smaller hole to the right which is the switch
mounting screw hole. The screw is the same as the screw used in the trunk
light switch. I happened to have one in my misc. box. The !/4" hole has to be
enlarged to ~ 3/8" to accommodate the switch barrel. I painted the cut edge
of the enlarged hole with BMW touch-up. Attach the female pins to one end of
you two wire cable. Shrink tube the pins to insulate them and attach to the
light assembly male pins. Undo the passenger side of the hood liner. Insert
the other end of the cable through the hood liner sheetmetal rectangle and
snap the light assembly in place. Follow the wiring down the hood support
continuing toward the right front light area of the vehicle ty-wraping as
required. I tapped one of the two cable wires to the front right hand parking
light (grey/yellow) wire using one low voltage tap-in connector. I crimped
the female quick disconnect connector to the other wire accommodating the
additional distance to the engine light switch. Attach this wire to the
positioned switch and secure switch. You should now have a lit engine
compartment light, assuming your parking lights are on. Pressing in the black
engine switch button should extinquish the engine compartment light. The
following is more involved. If your not confident about doing this, Don't. A
hole in you new cars hood is sure to excite you. Apply some tape to the hood
liner in the area just above the engine compartment light switch black
button. Place a small drop of white latex paint to the tip of the engine
compartment light switch button. Close and open the hood. You now have the
location of the rivet mounting hole which your about to drill. Puncture the
hood liner with a pointed object which will mark the sheetmetal underneath.
Unfasten the front passenger side of the hood liner. I inserted a .015"
feeler gauge in the larger hole just to the right of the marked hole.
Position the feeler gauge above the marked hole so you won't go through the
hood with your drill . You will hit it instead. Tape the feeler gauge in
position when aligned. I started with a small drill working up to the final
hole size one drill size at a time. Your less likely of having the drill grab
and dimple your hood. Fashion an appropiate hole in the hood liner beneath
the drilled hole. Install the lower section of the rivet. Done! I have yet to
figure out what the light assembly bracket shown on the parts u-fiche is for
or why there is not enough room to accommodate the upper portion of the
rivet. If you add grease to you drill bits it will hold on to most of the
chips. Tapping into the parking light assumes if your parking lights are on,
its dark out. The American way like Ford does, is to light it up whenever the
hood is up. I like BMW's way better.