[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BMW engine Longevity

Henri Baccouche asks what mileage should be expected with normal maintainance
on a BMW 6 cyl.  I've been building BMW auto engines for 29 years and find
the small sixers capable of 150-200k miles.  The Big 6 cyl, 3-3.5 litre can
easily make 250-300k miles if properly cared for.
  My wife's '85' 732i reached 350k miles untouched and I was concerned, so
did a quicky tear-down in the car, not pulling the hood, or block.  I was
50-100k miles early as it's been on 'Mobil 1' since new with changes at
25-30k miles.  (a mechanic's car gets neglected)
  My 15 yr old son did the valve job, while I broke the cylinder glaze with
a dingle-berry hone, popped new rings on the pistons and bearings on the
crank.  Then Phillip installed the head.  This was Xmas '95'. The car now
has 366k miles and going strong as ever.  It still has the original rockers
& shafts.  I've never seen any other engine in such good shape and it sees
5,000 rpm daily.
  Next time you're in the Seattle area, Just try to catch her in traffic.
It's a Hungry looking Euro-seven with BIMMERS for a plate #.

Dan Patzer  the CyberWrench from BIMMERS ONLY  206-743-2002