[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2002, 320 & 318i Four Cylinder Engines

To: Internet:bmw-digest@domain.elided

Dear Four Cylinder Engine Experts:

I've got an '84 318i that I'd like to upgrade to a two liter engine.
Ideally, I'd like to get a two liter engine block and then install
the 318 head so I can keep the fuel injection.

Here are the questions;

1.  Are there any differences between the (standard) 2002 and 320 two
liter engine blocks that would make one more desirable than the
other?

2.  Will the 318i head fit the 2002 block?  Will it fit the 320
block?

3.  Will the standard transmission from my 318i bolt right up to the
2002 and 320 engine blocks?

4.  Are the engine mounts in the same location?  Can I use the 318i
rubber mounts?  (Mounts for each engine have different part numbers)

5.  Will I be able to mount the accessories (alternator and power
steering pump) from the 318i on the older blocks?

6.  Would it be better to swap the 2 liter crankshaft into my 318i
block?

7.  Am I overlooking any important questions?  What else should I be
asking?  For example, can I use a 2002 head with my 318i fuel
injector equipped intake manifold?

There is a badly rusted but running 2002 for sale at a good price
nearby ($200).  I'd love to get the engine and install some 92mm
pistons into it.  Will it fit the E30 without significant problems?

Jay
75212.2155@domain.elided