[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Alternate hood opening

1986 325e

RE:  My earlier post here concerning alternative methods of opening
a hood latch with a broken cable --

I discovered (thankfully) that with a operational latch itself, it is
possible to open the hood from the front.  Locate the hood latch,
just to the left of the right side high-beam lamp.  You will notice
two bolts, which attach to the latch.  In between these two bolts,
there is an opening, a hole if you will, that looks like a flathead
screw recessed inside the latch housing.  (This appears as a hole if
the hood is open).  Insert a flathead screwdriver in the opening, and
twist.  If the latch itself is operational, the hood should pop up.

Thanks for the feedback, which I haven't received yet, and I'm
looking for responses with how to perform an "initial maintenance" on
a used BMW that the maintenance record appears good, but uncertain.

Thanks again,

Marty Watt
Tennessee