[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> RE: 5 spd Conversion

> I was wondering if the driveshaft from a 320i with a 5 speed would
> work, I already have this from the donor.

The simple answer to your question is no, you the 320 drive shaft is not
the correct length for the 2002 5 spd. conversion. However, your 320
driveshaft is a good donor shaft for converting your 2002 shaft to a 3 bolt
front flange. Use the 320 front flange and "graft" it onto the 2002 shaft
as part of the shortenting process. Note that you have to modify the shortening
length Ben specifies in the FAQ since the 320 guibo is thicker than the 2002
guibo. But this conversion of the front flange accomplises two things: (1)
allows use of the heavier duty 320 guibo (2) assuming your 320 5 spd trans. has
a 3 bolt flange, this also eliminates the need for purchasing the $200 4 bolt
output shaft flange.

Can anybody suggest a source for the transmission support bracket tabs that
Ben specifies in the 5 spd conversion FAQ. These tabs are supposed to either
bolt or weld up to the trans tunnel to allow relocation of the trans. support
bracket. Both Maxmillian and the dealer show these parts to be NLA. Any advice
on substitutes or workarounds would be apreciated.

> On a slightly different subject, is there a way to distinquish
> externally a tii engine block?

The Tii block has a fitting below where the oil filtyer housing mounts to
the box. This fitting is for the oil return line. This is unique to the Tii,
but can easily be blocked off if you plan to use a tii block with a carburetor
setup.

Regards,

Jonathan
'87 535is
'72 2002tii (undergoing restoration and 5 spd conversion.