[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 318i creaking and squeaking

> From: RAndrewsjr@domain.elided
> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:07:29 -0400
> Subject: Re: 1995 318i Creaking & Sqeeking issue?
> My 1995 318i since 3,805 miles has made a qreeking and squeeking sound while
> driving.  This is especially noticeable when drving over rough roads or in
> and out of drive ways and speed bumps.  BMW has repeatedly tried to correct
> this problem and can't provide me with the Service bulletins that state this
> problem.  Their fix amounted to puting clear teflon tape along the inside of
> the doors.  Which looks as if someone has taken Scotch tape all to the inside
> of the doors.  Does anyone have this same problem or has had some BMW dealer
> fix this problem with the doors and body of the car qreeking and sqeeking?

I had the same problem  with my 1996 328i, from the time I bought it. The dealer, who tells me this is quite a common problem, applied
the Teflon tape as well. It seems to have quieted my car down quite a bit, although it's still not perfect. I supplemented the tape with
silicone spray on a few parts of the doors where the tape wasn't appplied well.
A good way to find out where the worst squeaks occur is to have someone push on the doors from the outside as you sit in the car. I found
mine was particularly bad at the tops of the rear doors, where I also applied some silicone spray.
Interestingly, I had a loaner 1995 318i from the dealer for a couple of days. It didn't squeak at all, even when pushing on the doors.
Until I saw your message I thought the problem might be confined to the 328 for some reason. Now I suspect BMW probably has a number of
suppliers of the rubber door trim, some of which produce squeaky material and some of which don't. Just a guess.

David Toole