[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Testing tests

>Matt wrote:
>>Before I installed a Dinan chip in my 87 325i, I had a top speed of
>>about 80 MPH on the hill that climbs towards the Continental Divide
>>on I-70 going east (around 11000 feet). After installing it, I have
>>never been able to determine my new top speed because it is too fast
>>for the road and traffic conditions. I accelerate easily past 80 now.

Ron replied:
>Sounds interesting, but we all must remember that when any "testing" is
>done, all factors must be taken into account to get a 100% true, verifiable
>comparison.  EX:

>1)What was the approx temp. and humidity factors during BOTH of your tests?
>  If it was hot/humid (thinner air) without the chip and cool, damp
> ("thicker" air), with the chip, that handicaps the chip test.

Late afternoon summer Sunday (not Saturday!) in the Rockies both times.
Now I know the car has more power in the winter, but I would venture to say
that the difference in environmental conditions between two summer days is
miniscule. It just doesn't get humid up there in the summer.

> 2)Any other mods in addition to the chip?
Yes, new shocks.

> 3)Was your car running in top tuned condition during both tests?
Yes.

> change plugs, filters, etc ALONG with the chip?
NO.

> 4)Were you running 93 octane BOTH times, or just when you switched to the
>   chip?
BOTH.