[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Bimmer vs Beemer

Russ sez:

>From: "Russ Highton Jr." <reh5@domain.elided>
>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:19:45 -0400
>Subject: Bimmer vs. Beamer
>
>Hi guys, I'm back!  In regards to the Bimmer/Beamer question, I was promptly
>repremanded by a beamer rider after calling his machine a bimmer.  Hence,
>Bimmers are cars, and Beamers are motorcycles.  Anyone disagree?
>
>Russ Highton Jr.
>reh5@domain.elided
>
>1982 BMW 320i 58k alpine white

Russ - no one CAN disagree. The two terms were set as part of the
settlements for WW-1 (the big one, the first time around) and
are set in law by the Geneva Convention.

Beemer (three E's, NO A's)      =       2 wheels
Bimmer (one I, one E, 2 M's)    =       4 wheels (+ spare)

I hope this clarifies everything.

Don

PS: One'a my favorite things to do, is to pull up to a BMW car
at a light on one of my Beemer's and say "Oh, I didn't know they
made cars too!" (A slight change from the comment I hear at
least weekly riding a Beemer). In actuality, they have made
moto's longer than they've made cars, and at several points the
motorcycle business saved the company.. one chairman of BMW
was asked WHY they still make motorcycles (it is less than 5%
of their business), his comment (paraphrased) was:

We are not Mercedes BUS, CAR, TRUCKS, we ARE Bavarian Motor Works,
not Bavarian Auto Works.. the motorcycle tradition of BMW has
made them a unique company - one where the enthusiast can do one
stop shopping for all the toys!

Best (and in fun!), [DANGER - full SIG FOLLOWS]:

Don Eilenberger (deilenberger@domain.elided)
       Spring Lake Heights, NJ USA
'79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer
'85 K100RT Paige*    - der 2nd Beemer
'87 535i BOHICA      - der Bimmer
 	 * - don't blame me, my son
       claims Paige spoke to him and
          said that's her name..
            Village Idiot #VI!
  DOD#1177, BMW-CCA#104316, BMW-MOA#64000
  President - New Jersey Shore BMW Riders
  NJ-DOD-Cycles,  Fossil Riders of NJ Inc.
    BOOF#7 BMWNP #2, BMWCJ #2, KOTF#2
K-WHINER #40 - these suckers vibrate some eh?
   S-WHINER #2 -  school zone whiner..
               Me_Too_Ism#1
 "A glutton for clubs.. and splinter groups"