[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 320i Cooling Upgrade

From: Straty Argyrakis <Straty_Argyrakis@domain.elided>

Bob Van Epps, Thank you for your reply. I have a new motor dropped in my
'79 320i and I am willing to pay a few dollars to increase the capacity
of the radiator if it isn't too much. I drive alot in the Central Valley
of California and the temps get up to 110 Deg. F quite often. With the
air conditioner on full blast, the temp gauge does rise. I'm sure this
motor does not have a crack or a head gasket leak. I just went all
through that problem (see V5 # 15). Could you please advise on the phone
number and address of the Metric Mechanic? This company is new to me.

I also need more information on bleeding these cooling systems. The BMW
factory manual goes through some detail of there being different stop
positions on the radiator neck for the radiator cap; they state in the
manual to let the motor come up to temp at cap position 3(?) the turn it
to position 2 and squeeze the hoses to let the air out? Does anyone
understand this type or any bleeding procedure for the 320 series? The
BMW mechanics at the dealership indicated these motors are notorious for
having trapped air but they didn't go into any detail on how to remove
it.

Also, I have a BMW factory manual if anyone wants to buy it. I need to
check and see how much I paid from the dealer a few years ago. It covers
320i from 1978 to 1983 with decent coverage and great photos.

Thanks for any help,

Straty Argyrakis
1979 320i, 1979 320is, 1982 320i, 1970 Chevy El Camino 350