[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Smooth-shifting 2002

>The problem happens most of the time when I'm shifting from second to
>third.  As I'm engaging the clutch in third, I can hear a klunk noise
>from somewhere along the drive train.  I can also feel a slight jolt
>in the shift lever at the same time.

Here is list of 'like' problems that i had on my 02's:

1. worn center bearing on driveshaft - rubber, holding bearing
   breaks, driveshaft moves around.... Look under car and
  find this bearing in the middle of tunnel, on 74 it can
  be covered with plate, but you'll be able to see it.
  About $40 for bearing.

2. IMPORTANT: Engine mounts worn or front subframe cracked,
   shake engine with hand....look in book where mounts are
   located. On pre 73 driver side was weak design, but
   i had one new style go bad too (on 75). If mounts will
   fail, engine will drop on subframe......(still drivable
   but......) Engine mounts are ~$50 for both sides. Subframe
   cracks under driver side mount -- look under intake manufold
   (use bright light) and you'll see it. Replacement - $???
   from junk yard. To replace it you'll have to hold engine with
   some kind of crane .....

3. Rear subframe mounts are bad - again look in book where they are located
   and look at rubber. Easy to replace, each is about $20.....

4. Worn 'guibo' - tranny/drivashaft coupler - look under tranny and you'll
   see it. About $40.

Oleg.

E30M3&02's