[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 320i Cooling

Subject: 320i Cooling Upgrade
To: Bob Van Epps <72537.2212@domain.elided>

From: Straty Argyrakis <Straty_Argyrakis@domain.elided>

Cars: '79 320i 102K, '79 320is Kasimir 188K, '82 320i Silverblau 220K
orig motor, '70 El Camino 350 188K

Bob, Thank you for your response. I just went through this experience
with the cracked head; I wrote about it in V5 # 15. I percieve the
cooling systems to be at the upper limit of their design and have had
this confirmed by many mechanics. On 110 deg. F days in the local
Central Valley, CA, with the AC on full blast, my good motor does run
hotter. Could you direct me to Metric Mechanic? I just dropped in a
fully rebuilt motor and if the cost isn't 10X, I would pay the cost for
insurance.

I am very curious on the "Bleeding" techniques referred to in the
factory service manual. I know these cooling systems are notorious for
air pockets and must be bled. The manual suggests there are multi
radiator cap lock down stages(stage3,2, and 1???) and the manual
suggests bringing the vehicle up to temp and cracking the cap to stage 2
and "milking" the radiator hoses to get the air out???? Could anyone
confirm this procedure?

Also, I have an extra BMW factory manual if anyone is interested in
buying it. I have to check what I paid for it years ago. This manual
constantly refers to the "specification section" which is not in this
manual but it has great pictures for '78 to '83 service and repairs.