[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Misc> BMW Paint

From: "Alberto SCHILEO, DCC/USD" <Alberto.SCHILEO@domain.elided>

|What kind of crap are BMWs painted with these days???
|
|Yesterday I briefly parked my '96 328is under a tree while attending a meeting,
|and found upon my return that two pigeons had mistaken my hood for their
|toilet!  So I immediately ran to the car wash, and gave the car a nice
|thorough washing.  The bird crap could have been on the hood for a maximum of 1
|and a half hours, assuming it happened right when I walked away from the car.
|Well: imagine my surprise to notice that even though the clearcoat on the hood
|was perfectly smooth to the touch, if you looked at it with the light shining
|on it you could perfectly well see the blueprint of the two bird-craps!!!  I
|tried washing the things off with BMW car shampoo, since I refused to believe
|that it could actually have corroded the clearcoat, but to no avail...  So,
|either the pigeons had eaten nuclear waste (which in Paris is not so
|unlikely!), were glowing green, and then I could conceive that their crap would
|have such disastrous results, but otherwise... damn!  Bird crap is certainly
|something BMW engineers should keep in mind when testing the resistance of
|their paints, no?

Alberto,

I know how you feel.  I've been in Japan for 3 months.  When I got back a
few days ago, I noticed that I had bird crap on my hood from 3+ months ago
that I didn't wash off.  I washed my car, but the spot where the bird crap
was stuck out like a sore thumb.  I rub again, but still, the spot could not be
rubbed off.  I looked closely and the area is clean.  Only thing is that the
bird crap etched itself into my clear coat.  The clear coat has a rought spot
as if it was slowly being eaten by something acidic.

Gary
89 BMW M3 -	Suspension mods : Eibach Progressives and Koni shocks
		Wheels		: DP Enduro 3/S 3 piece 16" rims (225/45)
		Stereo		: Stocked headunit with BMW 12 disc changer
				  + Zapco preamp/EQ + 4 infinity 8" subs
				  + 3 Coustic Amps (200+160+160)
		Alarm		: Alpine 8040
		Others 		: Battery shut off switch
		Future work	: Fix intake manifold leak (2nd time!)
				: Replace warped brake rotors
				: Replace batter on SI board