[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #22

Hello all,
I'm contemplating a purchase of a 1987 635Csi, 77K miles.  The car has
complete service documentation, although I haven't reviewed it yet.  This
would be my first BMW after many years of hoping.  At any rate, I'd like
to hear from anyone regarding their experience with that particular model
or drivetrain.  In particular, I'm interested in things that I should be
sure to check prior to purchase, general problems with the car, expected
upcoming service needs related to the 635 generally and in that mileage
bracket, and reliability/longevity that I should expect.  I'm told the
car spent most of it's life in a heated garage without being driving
through the harsh Rochester, NY winters.  So, the body appears to be in
great shape.  The only things I noticed that seemed unusual are:
1) Engine makes a ticking sound, though it doesn't really sound like a
valve.  Any thoughts?

2) Radio cuts in and out--I assume its a loose wire leading to the speakers.

3) Exhaust has kind of a throaty gurgle as it comes back down near idle
after a rev.  It doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak.  Is the sound
normal?  It sounds a lot like the popping noise of a turbo-charged car
when slowing down after a downshift.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Jason Markel