[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Flagging at Driver's Schools

As an SCCA F&Cer (corner worker to most of you) in my spare spare time, I
find the comments about flagging at the Driver's schools interesting. Now I
am not here to say whether or not a flag was out at the Bridge, but if there
was debris (sand on the track is not always considered debris) on the track,
and there were experienced corner workers, it should have been, (a debris
flag is yellow with red stripes), and it is up to the *driver* to see it and
respond to it.

I have noticed that 9 out of 10 of the top SCCA drivers that are considered
really good, are also really good at seeing the flags and responding to
them.  I have also noticed that 9 out of 10 of the poor drivers are really
bad at seeing the flags and responding to them.  I have concluded based on
working the corners as well as driving the track that seeing flags is a
function of driver training and experience.

At my first driver's school, I was so focused on driving that I completely
forgot about the flagging and afterward could not even recall seeing the
bunkers, let alone the flags.  At my next school, I made it a point during
my familiarization lap to also familarize myself with the flagging stations
and the location of the flagger.  As I have improved in my driving skill and
track familiarity, I find that my horizon has opened up making the flags
much more visible.  At the last school I attended, I felt so comfortable
with the course and my driving, that I had enough time in many of the
corners to actually make brief eye contact with the flagger. And, yes, I was
driving hard and fast.

I also believe that at the schools I have attended, not enough explanation
is given to the flagging process.  More effort should be given to training
on seeing, experiencing and reacting to the different flag situations.  I
have also noticed that very little appreciation is given to the the flaggers
at the end of a run, it is customary to acknowledge them with a wave of the
hand-as a result, it is getting harder and harder to find experienced
flaggers willing to work a pretty boring BMW CCA event (at least compared to
an SCCA event with real race cars).  The day is coming when we will see our
fees go up in order to be able to still hire expert flaggers, or depend on
inexperienced ones.  I know I am much more comfortable driving on the track
knowing an experienced flagger is out there.

I have also noticed that very few of my fellow BMWCCAers respond to the
yellow flag on the 1st and last laps.  They go balls out begining to end,
trying to maximize their time at speed.  That is very frustrating and
irresponsible.  For what its worth.

Regards
Brian Bowden
Fort Collins, Colorado

Rocky Mountain Sidewinders (SCCA Flag and Comm)
94 BMW 325is