[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> M3 Tire Pressure

There has been some questions about E36 M3 tire pressures. When my M3 was new
and I was going ot take it to the track and autocross I had similar
questions. So I called Russ Wiles (of One Lap fame). He then wrote the
following in the Spring 1995 M3 Interest group regarding my question:

"What tire pressures should I use with the stock tires? Well Juan, to the
disbelief of BMW I used about 32 psi in front ,28 or 29psi in the rear. Keep
in mind these are not floppy 60 or 70 series tires. These things are rims
dipped in rubber. Air's primary function is to control deformation of the
tire. There isn't much to control. I would raise it a couple of pounds at the
most for autocrossing. If you want more oversteer,raise the rear or bring the
front and rear pressures closer."

I have tried these pressures and they seem to work. Note that I set the tires
to these presures at night when the tire temp was 55 to 60 degrees. Thus the
hot pressures turn out to be significantly higher and close to 40psi. I also
tried higher pressures just to see what happened. Going any more than 4
pounds over resulted in the car feeling skaty and less predictable. I also
think that the factory recomended settings are a safe place to start your
experimentations and go from thier.

Juan Bruce
BMW CCA 95025
BMW ACA LA
'85  ///M635
'95  ///M3

P.S. All you M3 owners should join the M3 Interest group by contacting Russ
Wiles at rwiles@domain.elided .