[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(Fwd) New member with '85 535i

Forwarded message:
From:     Self <NEURO_1/THOMASG>
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: New member with '85 535i
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:57:03

Hello fellow bimmer fans,

I just have joined your ranks in two ways.  I just bought the 85 535i
on Monday and found the mailing list yesterday.

First a few details on the car:

1985 BMW 535i
57,000 miles
Charcoal Grey with small amounts of surface rust
Auto transmission
full power (I assume most or all were)
Leather (see above)
sunroof
New tires
BMW AM/FM/Cassette

Overall it appears that this car has been well taken care of.  The
owner had pawned it at an auto pawn.  I bought it from the auto pawn.
I don't have the owners manual.  I plan to stop by my local
dealership and try to pick one up.

It seems to have a couple of minor problems

1:  The Brake Lining light has intermittenly come on a couple of
times.  Once when I was test driving it and once since I bought it.
I have had a local gas station check the pads and they said they were
very good.  There is a little brake squeal.  Reminds me of my Truimph
TR-7 that had the semi metallic pads over heated.  Any Ideas?

2:   What I assume is the attention light flashes when I start the
car.  The heads up display is showing the brake light warning.  When
I touch the brake pedal the first time, the warning lights go off.

3:  I can't figure out how to use the cruise control.  Or it is non
functional.

4::  The power antenna does not fully extend.  It was a little stick
on the way down but that seems better now.  Any tricks?

Since I don't have the owners manual yet and the Bentleys manual I
have ordered has not made it to my door yet, I have a couple of
questions.

1:  Is there anything that I should have checked out ASAP?

2:  What things should be taken care of at 60,000 miles?

3:  Can I trust a good Import shop or should I be having it serviced
at BMW?

4:  Is it a good idea to have the tranny flushed?

5:  After readed the FAQ it seems it is normal for the engine to idle
a little rough.  Mine does this.  It seems fine under load.  The
autopawn did need to replace the camshaft.  Would that be an
indication that the valves might need adjustment?

What else should I know?

One last thing:

What is the correct pronouncation of bimmer?  Is it Bim (rhymes with
rim)-mer or is it Beam-er?  I have always heard Beam-er around here
but see everyone writing bimmer.

Thanks.

    *  Thomas D. Gasser                                                 *
    *  Department of Neurosurgery                *******     *******    *
    *  University of Minnesota                    ***  *** ***  ***     *
    *  (612) 624-4427                             ***   *****   ***     *
    *  E-Mail:  THOMASG@domain.elided        *****         *****    *