[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Frequency of oil changes

Hi all,

I am curious about all of your oil changing opinions. BMW recommends
changing the oil every 10k miles! Too many miles in my opinion, even
with the improvement in modern day lubricants. I was brought up to change
the oil/filter every 2k miles. An in addition, to grease the front end
every 2k miles, usually only 1 or 2 pumps of grease so as not to
blow out the seals. Every 2k miles might be over kill. How frequently
do you change your oil? What about greasing the front end? Also
does anyone know how many grease fittings there should be for my car,
E34 '95 530i? What brand of oil do you use, the BMW stuff or is the
high grade Castrol good enough. All I've ever used is Castrol 10/40
in my '85 Pontiac Firebird and it has 198,000 miles and is still
going strong. Also the dealer tried to tell me only the BMW oil filters
were good, other brands never seated correctly. I've always used Fram
and NEVER had a problem (that would be 198,000/2000 miles=99 filters).
(In addition my husband has 180,000 miles on his car, Castrol oil /Fram
filters=90 filters.). Any comments on using BMW oil filters vs Fram
or some other brand?

Reply privately or digest ok.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Kim Watters