[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc>possible s/r deflector rubbing solution

>From: Chris Sawwa <70403.1274@domain.elided>
>Date: 23 Jul 96 22:49:13 EDT
>Subject: RE:To sun/wind deflect or not.

>snip
>I have been a wind deflector fan for a long time.  So, I bought the sunroof
>deflector the day after I picked up the car back in march.  I like what
>they do to the wind flow when sunroof is open.
>The truth is though, that the sunroof deflector will leave permanent
>impression in the paint.
>snip

A thought for those of you interested in the deflectors. A few years back
I was at an automotive aftermarket trade show courtesy of the tonneau
cover manufacturer that I worked for at the time. I met up with some reps
from 3M and was talking to them about a concern I had with the foam
padded aluminum rails that were used to mount the cover to the truck bed.
Seems that after a while the padding would wear a mark into the paint.
This was a concern to me and the company becuz we advertised the product
as doing no damage to the trucks when installed properly. The 3M folks
suggested a new clear film they had developed that was very suitable for
just this purpose and we talked about including this film in the
installation package. We never went any further than this stage,
unfortunately (I wanted a free sample at least :-(...).

So here is your possible solution. Check around the truck accessory
places. The 3M people did eventually get around to marketing this low
friction film as a kit for bedliner installations and it could be bought
at the retail level.

John Darwak
'85 325e (155k mi.Soon to have "i" cam/springs.Jim C. where are you?)