[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #21

> >>i)  how much skid pad or "car control" practice had you had
> before you began to lap at speed?  more particularly, had you ever executed
>"in a spin, both feet in" before finding yourself in a situation where that
>procedure might be needed?>>
>
>Answer: None/No

I'm very surprised to hear that there's no "safety school" prerequisite at other
chapters. Golden Gate chapter has a safety school that's mandatory for people
attending their first track event.

It's a one-day session on an old airfield that covers skidpad, some slalom,
accident avoidance, threshold braking, etc. Very, very useful. I went twice -
once before and once after my first track event at Laguna Seca.

As an aside - my stock pads with 11k on them lasted just fine for the two days,
for those other beginners thinking about starting out and worried about all the
hard-core drivers talking about brake fade. If you have brake fade in your
first-ever
track school, you're probably going too fast....

- --Neil