[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <M3> Back Pressure and Torque

>Had the opportunity to drive an '88 M3 today that I might buy.

If the price is right, go for it!

>The exhaust
>has a very bad leak just aft of the cat/resonator unit at a joint in the heat
>shields.  Is there an exhaust junction here or is it likely rot-thru?
>Obnoxiously loud and accompanied by the rattling of the heat shields.

The E30 M3 is know for eating the exhaust every 50k.  Of course, I'm at 63k
and still have the original, for now....

>Anyway, the car had absolutely no low end torque.

The stock E30 M3 has VERY little low end torque.  Remember this is a
4-banger.  If you get the car put in a chip and a cam sprocket and there
will be a big improvement, but still it is any V-8.  The E30 M3 is built as
a race car, therefore the HP is built with RPMs.  Power is best in these
cars 400 RPMs and up.

>I've read thru the digest
>that reduced back pressure means reduced torque, but I don't understand >the
>relationship.  Will someone please explain?  From 3500 rpm on up to >redline,
>the car pulled strong. Below 3500, it was a 320i rather than an M3.

If the car is launched well, you will be above 3500 RPMs pretty quick.  I
doubt that the exhaust is a major factor here.  This is just how the cars
are.  Build RPMs up slip the clutch, feather, and go!

These are impracticle street cars, but I love every moment!

- -Bill Bechtold
 bbechtol@domain.elided
 '89 BMW ///M3 (Jim Conforti/M-Performance/Dinan Tuned)
 '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 (100% Stock and Staying that Way!)