[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #14 (ODOMETER TAMPERING)

Hi,

While I was looking for a used BMW, I was told my one dealer that
they can access the number of times the car has been started from
the computer and deduce from that a rough estimate of how many
miles the car should have on it. For example of the odometer shows
20000 miles but the car has been started 5000 times, something could
be wrong.  I am not sure this information is accurate but it is what
I was told. A friend of mine who buys cars at auctions on a fairly
regular basis said to STAY AWAY from a car which has unknown mileage,
(TMU) i.e. odometer set back to 0 due to service or repairs, etc.
because it can severely affect the value of the car.

Hope this helps.

Kim Watters
'95/530i/5-speed