[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paint

I was under the impression that poor quality modern
paint was due to the much publicised changeover to
environmentally friendly paints. I believe they may
be water based. The upshot is the car manufacturers
get a better image annd the cost is passed on to us
motorists. I have heard numerous tales of early re-
sprays due to paint chipping. Opels seem particuarly
effected with a couple I've heard of needed re-sprays
after 6 months of ownership. I even doubt if it is
covered by the warranty, unless of course you write
for an influential magazine. I also doubt it helps
the environment that much as most re-sprays will be
with older paints? I don't mind higher costs to
protect the environment as long as it is upfront
and honest. However none of the above is based on
facts, just hearsay and magazine articles.
  So there must be some bodyshop guys on our list
so how about a quick breakdown on the different
types of paint and their advantages/disadvantages?