[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Peake Reset Tool

Folks-

Either I'm losing it (entirely possible) or my handy-dandy "Peake Research R5
BMW Reset Tool" has stopped working.  I recently changed my oil and, as usual,
used the tool to attempt to reset the SI lights.  I followed the instructions
on the side, as always, to whit:

 1.Turn on ignition key
 2. Plug into diagnostic connector
 3. Press & hold switch, then count the number of red flashes
     [7 flashes for an OILSERVICE])

I then re-connected the diagnostic connector, turned off the ignition and
started the car.  The SI lights still showed only one green bar (i.e. were not
reset).  Am I forgetting something - i.e. do I need to wait some specific
period of time after using the reset  tool before starting the car?  Is the
car trying to tell me it's time for an INSPECTION (it's just passed 16,000
miles, oil changed every 3,000 miles, three drivers schools, otherwise fairly
gentle driving)?  I've had no problems with the tool before, but the car was
in storage for 1995 and I didn't bother with the reset tools when I did the
post-storage oil-change, so it's been some time since I've used the tool.  I
had the dealer do an inspection (and replace the diff fluid, brake fluid,
radiator fluid...) when I took the car out of mothballs, so I don't think it
should need an inspection.

Any tips or Peake's number (they have no listing in 800 directory assistance)
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Simon Kennedy
'95 M3