[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Re: Odometer Tampering - informational

Since I looked at used cars before biting the bullet and leasing a new
328is, I too had some question about the odometer readings of some cars in a
local dealer's lot.  I don't know who the original question came from, or
where their geographical location is, but you might want to keep this in mind...

I was informed by this local dealer here in Upperstate New York that they
are very cautious about taking cars from Vermont.  The salesman said that it
is NOT illegal in Vermont to roll back an odometer, but it is illegal to say
you haven't had it done.

He went on to say that if your instrument cluster on a digital odometer BMW
is taken out and re-installed for any number of different reasons, the
odometer gauge will be reset to zero on the cluster.  But, the shop's
service department takes an accurate reading before the replacement and that
goes into the nationwide service records for your BMW.

So, if the car has been worked on by a BMW authorized service department,
then the true milage of the car will be known, otherwise you might be out of
luck!

- -Dave Quick
 BMW CCA
 96 328is

P.S.  John Browne and other Seattle people - I'll be moving to Seattle in
less than a month... can't wait to see PeeKay on SIR.