[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

320i Cooling System

Hi, I'm a 320i junkie. I have been working on them for a few years and I
have had a recurring problem with the cooling systems periodically.

I had a chance this weekend to work on a 1979 BMW 320i. The car's
motor was really tired - low compression and poor leak down
measurements. The car had a similar history of overheating over a six
year period as I have occassionally experienced; unable to idle in
traffic on hot days. All other driving seemed to be ok.

I first pressurized the cooling system with the Stant system (pump with
a gauge and adapters for the radiator)and found when pumped up to 14
psi, it leaked down to about 8 psi in a few minutes. I found a leak in
the water pump seal indicated by fluid dripping from the vent hole on
the pump. I pulled the radiator and sent it to Radiator land for
cleaning. These plastic/aluminum radiators can be flushed but not
dipped. The result is they can clean the inside ok but they are not
effective at getting the bugs out of the fins as they only wash down the
outside with mild pressure as not to deform the fins. I had to do most
of the exterior cleaning by hand.

I installed a new water pump, thermostat and the cleaned radiator. I
drove the car for awhile and the standard position for the temperature
gauge was 12:00. The gauge now ran cooler at 10:00 and was consistent
so, I am convinced the work on the cooling system lowered the
temperature. Everything was fine until I went to the car wash and waited
in line on a hot day - the temp gauge went into the red. I shut of the
motor and cooled it off. An inspection of the coolant indicated the
level was lower than when I topped it off.

I took it home and pressurized the cooling system again and it still
leaked down from 12 PSI to 8 PSI in a few minutes. No obvious leaks.

I pulled the head off and took it to my machine shop. After close
inspection we found a crack between the combustion chamber and the
cooling jacket. The machinist indicated all aluminum head/cast iron
block engines are very sensitive to any overheating - in fact one event
can crack the head. It depends on many factors including the current
status of the head bolt torque, the maximum temperature and duration
incurred, and how the overheated engine was cooled down; let it sit and
cool it slowly - never put cold water in the radiator when it is in the
overheated condition as the cast iron will cool at a different rate as
the aluminum. The machinist indicated the crack may not pass hot gasses
to the cooling system until it reaches a certain hot temperature. Once
the crack expands, it then feeds hot gas to the cooling system and
overwhelms it. This condition may have very well been existant for six
years and the car still had plenty of power and no dramatic loss of
coolant.

I have heard of an exhaust gas detector that is inserted into the
radiator and indicates the presence of exhaust in the cooling fluid. I
am researching this now - if it isn't too expensive I'll buy one. Is
anyone familiar with this tool???

The heads are not repairable - if they are cracked, they are scrap
aluminum and fetch less bounty than aluminum recycleable cans.

I have procured a new head and wish to increase the capacity of the
radiator. Is anyone aware of an oversized radiator that will fit in
place of the stock??? I'm tired of running on the edge with the original
design. Thanks for any help!