[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cooling system upgrade for older 5

Dadbeh Rouhbakhsh writes in Digest 5, #13.

> Howdo bimmerheads
>
> Is there a way to upgrade an older 5's cooling system, i.e. bigger
> readiator, better fan..etc.. to get a cooler running engine?
>
> dadbeh
> 74 02
> 81 528i

If you examine your radiator, you will notice a step
between the tanks on either side of the radiator and
the radiator core.

Any radiator shop should be able to replace the stock
double core radiator with a triple core.
With the triple core, the step goes away and the face
of the radiator is now flush with the tanks. viola:
you've added 50% more cooling capacity.

You now have to put some shims (I used a stack of
flat washers) on the bolts which attach the fan
to the fan clutch. This moves the fan back from
the radiator and eliminates any interference
problems.

You could also wire your AC fan behind the grill to
work full time.

Eric Tangen
2-2002s and a 530i