[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

320i A/C, Aux Fan, not working

I've got a 1980 320i with factory air.  Typically, two things happen when
you turn the air conditioning on:  a) The A/C compressor kicks in, and b)
The auxilliary electric fan (located in front of the radiator) kicks in.
All of a sudden, those two things stopped happening, and I no longer have
air conditioning.

When I turn the A/C switch on, the main three-speed blower fan kicks off,
and the A/C blower fan kicks on - just as it should, so the switch does
appear to be working at least that far.  I swapped the aux fan's relay with
the low beam relay (both are 12v 30A relays) and that didn't solve the
problem.  I then used my 12v tester to check the two fuses that are labeled
"aux fan".  There is a 16A fuse and a 32A fuse.  With the A/C switch turned
on, the tester lights up when I touch it to the 32A fuse holder, but it does
NOT light when I touch it to the 16A fuse holder.

So, I am wondering if this is telling me that there is a problem with the
switch that turns the A/C on/off?  Even though it does seem to be working,
at least partially (shutting off the three-speed blower and turning on the
A/C blower), perhaps the part that signals the aux fan and the A/C
compressor to kick in isn't working?

Anybody have any thoughts on this before I spend $$$ on a replacement
switch?

Thanks - Gary