[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tampering with digital odometers

Hi all,
Henri Baccouche wrote:-
>If the car has a digital odometer, can i assume  that is the true
>mileage because it is tamper proof?

No way! Here in the UK, a car magazine ("Top Gear") recently carried an
article about a guy who has developed software which, loaded on a laptop,
can reset digital odometers on MBs, Jags and BMWs to any value you like.
Apparently the software is legally on sale in the UK (and elsewhere,
presumably), and the motoring press currently reports that BMs with
"clocked" digital odometers are now appearing on the market.
Stewart Johnston
"When I die, I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather did,
 not screaming in terror like his passengers" - Anon.