[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> sister's dead '87 325i

Those of you who read all of these digest messages (wow!) will remember I'm
the one with the "nice" sister-in-law who had her dead 325i towed to my
driveway.  Did some more testing today (there's still no spark) and I
decided it would be really nice to know if the Motronic brain is OK before
I dig around any further.  I must admit, the brain is the last thing I'd
normally suspect except for an article I just read in a recent Road and
Track.  Is it common for the Motronic unit to go bad in these cars like
they claim?

Anyway, I'm hoping someone out there can try out my suspect Motronic brain
in their working car?  We do this all the time with the L-Jetronic TR8s :-)
(everything on the TR8 FI is Bosch except the computer which, alas, is
Lucas).

So, does someone out there have a working '87 325i (convertible?) that
they'd be willing to try my Motronic unit in?  If so, please contact me
directly and we'll arrange it.  Wonder how much I should insure it for?

Also, how much for a "new" (rebuilt, or whatever) one of these?  Any
suggestions for sources in case it appears I need one?

Jim TenCate, Los Alamos, NM (summa@domain.elided)
87 BMW 325i conv, 80 Triumph TR8