[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E21 cold starting problem

hello,

i wrote about cold starting problems with my '83 320i; thanks
for the responses i got.

i just attempted to test the cold start valve and the heat/time switch.
first, i popped out the cold start valve and tried starting the car cold
with the valve pointing in a bottle.  the first time it sprayed for
a fraction of a second, and stopped.  all subsequent attempts - nothing.
so i'm getting warm, right?

so next i attempted to check the heat/time switch.  i just took a tester
and put the clamp on the + battery terminal, and the tester on the
correct prong on the heat/time switch (i tried both prongs, actually).
no light.  did i do it right?  does this mean my heat/time switch is
bad?  also, if it is indeed the heat/time switch, would this also
account for the revving hesitation i experience when the car's cold?

thanks a lot for any help you can give an extreme amateur......

chris