[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brake Squeal

<Is there a quick and easy home remedy for slow-speed squealing brakes?  I
recently replaced those on my E36 325i with Repco Deluxes, and the squeal is
driving me nuts. I'd hate to return to the OEM soot blowers.
Thanks. >

    There are a number of disc-brake squeal silencers (CRC, EMP, and probably
EIEIO) sold by auto parts stores.  They usually come in a plastic bottle, and
you spread a thin layer of it on the BACK of the pad, where it contacts the
piston or caliper, NOT THE FRICTION SIDE!  (Don't laugh-- I've heard of it
happening!)   Let the goop dry to a rubbery texture, then you install the pad
as normal.  It dampens the pads' vibrations, which (I'm theorizing) transfer
to the rotor, which then resonates.

Happy de-squealing,
Gary
'87 535i, '88 325is