[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

VINS ... Euro v. U.S.

Thanks to all those who sent VINS ...

Here's the final word ..

To figure out if your car (or the one you want to buy) is a Euro/Grey-Market
car, look at the VIN .. there are TWO types ...

SEVEN digit ... example: 4 335 451  ... and ..

SEVENTEEN digit example: WBADK7309B7950011

If you have a SEVEN digit VIN (U.S. before 9/1/80 prod.; Euro before 1/1/79)
the only way to be sure is by actually looking the number up in the tables

Which I have, and I am writing a program to do for you ;)

If you are researching a 17 digit VIN, look at digit # 10 ... if it is ZERO,
then you have a EURO car ...

NOW .. it gets tricky ;)

If there is something OTHER than "0" in the tenth pos. and it was produced
after 9/1/80, but is an 1984 Model Year or earlier, you must do a lookup
on the chassis number to be 100% sure ..

Lastly if it is MY '85 or greater, the tenth digit is the CLINCHER ...

0 = Euro .. and some letter = U.S. (and the Model Year too!)

Jim

PS: Of course, some cars are immediately recognizeable as EURO, but others
    are similar enough to be faked soo .. check carefully

PPS: This could also help you avoid buying a hot car!