[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

32/36 carb smog approval

eumirc@domain.elided asked about smog approval for a 2002 with a
Weber 32/36 DGAV carburetor.  My experience replacing the carb on
my son's '76 2002 yielded the following information.  (These
comments apply to California emission regulations.)

After calling many Weber dealers, I got what I felt was a
straight answer from Import Engineering, a Roundel advertiser in
the Los Angeles area.  There is but one Weber model which is
legal in California for the 2002, and it is kit number K8205
based on the 32/36 DGAV carburetor.  This kit fits '72 to '76
2002s.  Installing it involves a few changes to the vacuum hose
and electrical connections, which a smog tech would notice
immediately.  This kit comes with a "California Air Resources
Board Executive Order" (CARBEO) number.  I.E. advised me to carry
this number and the installation instructions in the car, since a
smog tech would want to see these before passing the car.  The
tech would probably want to check the vacuum connections against
the instructions.

If the smog test technician is honest and competent, he will
notice and act on any significant modification which exists.

As Stanley Phan said, California allows no unapproved
alterations, not even those claimed by their makers or marketers
to be "direct replacements".  Only those with CARBEO numbers are
legal.

I believe there are two other sources of legal replacement 2002
carbs for California cars: 1. a new or rebuilt OEM carb from a
BMW dealer; and 2. a rebuilt carb of exactly the same model from
a carb rebuilder.  Option 1 is more expensive than the Weber.
Option 2 may be somewhat less expensive, and its quality depends
on the rebuilder.

The California smog inspection includes a visual inspection to
check that the required equipment is present and correctly
installed.  This may includes checking the model number on the
carburetor.  If your car fails the visual inspection, it fails
the smog test, even if its emissions are zero.  My car wouldn't
pass until I replaced a missing heat stove, that metal piece on
the exhaust mainfold which feeds warm air through a hose to the
air cleaner.

By the way, the Weber kit requires modifying the stock air
cleaner housing, and this is described in the instructions.

Provided eumir's carb is the same as mine and is properly
installed, I have no problem providing a copy of my Weber
instructions and certificate.  This is the proof a smog tech will
need.

Curt Ingraham
ingraham@domain.elided