[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Seized engine

Paul De Zan had his engine seize on his 325is after driving into water, and
wonders what happened.

Paul:

I talked to my friend Carl Nelson @ La Jolla Independent BMW (1-800-466-8184
Parts) about your problem.  He suggested that you had hydraulic lock.  That
is, you have one (or more) cylinders which are full of water, rather than
air.  If you are unlucky, you have one or more bent valves.  If you are very
unlucky, you may have also bent connecting rods.  If you are lucky, taking
out the spark plugs and turning the engine by hand may relieve the lock.
 BTW, take your air filter out and throw it away, as it is almost certainly
saturated with water.

As a fellow Northern Californian, who got off easy in this flood, you have my
sympathy.  If you have to have engine work, let me know where you are, and
perhaps I can make a suggestion, if you don't already have a good mechanic.

Keith Wollenberg
KKWollen@domain.elided
'72 Tii Touring, '88M5