[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 72 2002tii brakes - pulling to one side

>My 2002tii has developed a pull to the left when I hit the brakes.  I've
>bled the brakes, taken out the pads, and worked the caliper pistons on both
>sides.  It only pulls when I hit the brake, when I let up the car
straightens out,
>so the left side is releasing properly, ie. doesn't drag.

Michael,

I had a problem on my '73tii  with my brakes pulling hard to the right, but
only intermittently and only in the rain.  It did this for years, and
finally I decided to fix it. I called around and the first question everyone
asked is "have you replaced the flexible brake lines?"  I hadn't, and the
car has about 210k on it.  I replaced the lines with Kevlar/stainless lines
and the pull was cured.  Apparently gunk builds up in the flexible part of
the lines, restricting the fluid flow and causing a pressure differential
between the two sides of the car when the brakes are applied. I was glad
that it was not a sticky cylinder =:^).

To the Group ... I have been reading the digest now for a number of months,
and I really enjoy it.  Even though my car is of the older vintage, I am
always interested in all of the BMW discussions, technical and otherwise.  I
look forward to receiving the list as much or more than I look forward to
receiving my Roundel each month!  My thanks to everyone for all of your
excellent posts.

Hope to see you all at the Octoberfest!

Fred Beck     /     Berkeley, CA
FABeck@domain.elided