[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Renting a car in Europe

Hi.

I posted a message about this awhile ago (1.5 yrs?) when I travelled to
Europe for a 2-week vacation.  It can be found at the North American Web
site: http://cbsgi1.bu.edu:80/bmw/bmw.html.  I won't repost it because the
info in it is surely out of date, and I'm sorry, I don't have the time to
call around right now (the original poster is welcome to).  Its value is
in the phone/FAX numbers of the different outfits and these other points
made:

- - you will save a *lot* of money if you reserve your car in the US
at least 2 weeks prior to travel.

- - go with multiple reservations since it's free and most times, you can
only reserve a "class" of car, and not a BMW for certain.  When you get to
the counter at the airport, that's when you find out what they have (one
time, I picked up a car whose window broke when I tried to roll it down...
before I even started it - I ended up returning the car (since it was
their last BMW) and going to the next counter).

- - if you pre-pay, you pay a bit less, and risk getting an Audi 80. 8^)

- - Germany is, or at least it was, the least expensive country to
rent a BMW or MB, and Frankfurt A. M. airport has the best selection
(unless there's a conference going on 8^)).

The place Barry W. mentioned (that does long-term leases) is often seen
advertised in the NY Times Travel section, if it's the same one I'm
thinking of (today's p.27: Europe by Car 1-800-223-1516 or
1-212-581-3040).  They rent a lot of French cars - I wouldn't want to
have to live in one of those for 3 months. 8^)

Considering this is a longer trip, you might be dealing with BMW
dealerships or leasing companies like that.  I would contact BMW NA and
see if you can find out anything through them.

I called a few places in my original post after one poster mentioned
renting a 316Ti in Europe.  I found it was *more* expensive than a 316i or
318i 4-door because the discount plans rarely applied.  Unfortunate.

Have a great fahrt!

.steve.
1983 528e, 235k miles
1987 528e, 73k miles
p.s. I got nailed by the Belgium Rijkswacht ("state police") when I
lived there going 190 in a 120 (118 in a 75mph) in my company 316i
4-door, so if you think you won't have fun because you can't rent an
M3, you may be mistaken. 8^)
Steven J. Bernstein                       Home: bernstein@domain.elided
P.O. Box 11242                            Work:    bernstein@domain.elided
Hauppauge, NY 11788 USA      __________   Home:     (1) 718 740 7411