[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coolant loss and spark plugs

I pose two questions to the readers  of our list. The first, I have a friend
with a first-generation M3 that has recently started to lose coolant out the
overflow. Cap's been checked, replaced, water pump less than 1  year old, no
other signs of head gasket failure ie foamy oil, oil in water. Does anyone
have any thoughts that might shed some light on this. Car doesn't overheat
either.

On two recent tuneups I've done I've removed spark plugs that were broken, ie
ceramic center missing or cracked. Both car were neglected with filthy air
cleaners but didn't show signs of leaness which would lead  to detonation
which could cause the damage I saw. Can excessive richness also cause that
kind of damage. The plugs in the 528e I did were gross, I'm surprised it even
ran to get to my house, it speaks well for the Motornic system on the later
cars.Also is there a good source for a chart showing plug ranges for various
manufacturers.

Thanks in advance

Greg Mierz
GregM2002 @aol