[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

european delivery

"Could anyone please share their experience on the european delivery
program?" --Jerzy

I have done European delivery 2x, 1974 (2002), 1978 (320i). The price
is negotiable, but not very as the North American dealers don't make
much on the program. It helps, as always, if you have a prior
relationship with them and if they believe that they will get your
future service business.

You can pick up the car either at Munchen (they are well organized for
it) or else, if you pay extra, at other major western european cities.
Build in extra time for driving home, as you are limited to a low
break-in speed, even on the autobahn.

When we did it (years ago), BMW didn't arrange shipping. We shipped
both times from Antwerp, with 1 of the companies that advertizes in
the classifieds of the International Herald Tribune. The company warns
you to (a) buy insurance and (b) not pack the car or trunk with
anything (like clothes). This is well worth heeding, as both times, my
car was broken into in transit (on the Antwerp docks). I hear that
this is a common experience. Otherwise, the Antwerp company is also
well set up for this. One good thing is that the insurance that
Antwerp sells you is "marine insurance" which reimburses in cash
unlike auto insurance. Both times the adjuster made a cash settlement
which more than paid for my broken windows (jimmied) and scratches --
indeed, it just about paid for the cost of shipping. (If I remember,
it was about $700 to ship, but that was in 1978.)
As I am a Canadian resident, I won't give you the specifics on this
end, other than to say that Canadian customs (and I presume US) is
well set up to deal with this.

- --
Barry Wellman           wellman@domain.elided            8-)