[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E28 Drivetrain Fun

Hi All,

I've got a few symptoms of something wrong in the drive train of my
'86 535i auto and I was hoping some of you may have suggestions for
further tests or maybe even know what's going on.

Here is the list

1. On/Off accelerator thunk when the car is warmed up.  Doesn't
sound like it is coming from the rear end more like diretly beneath
me.

2. Vibration on 1-2 shifts. Severity depends on acceleration and
is most notable for mid-range acceleration.

3. Vibration/drone when the torque converter locks up.  This is the
only one I'd really like to solve cause although it is not loud it
somehow pushes my irritation button.

I've checked the driveshaft etc. and this car has a CV joint not
a guibo at the output of the transmission.  At this point I'm kinda
leaning towards a transmission problem.

Thanks for any help or tips --rod.

ps.  My microfiche project is blasting along.  I've got three E28 fiches
now and I'm working on retro-fitting a silicon sensor to the scanner and
I'm also working on upping the resolution by a factor of 2 (thanks Ted!!).