[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Year's Weekend Meeting (long)

     Happy New Year everyone!

     I enjoyed a great weekend and wanted to share just a brief part of it
     with you.  See, people that meet "online" do meet in person.  Stanley
     Phan and I made arrangements to meet at my home on Saturday to share
     our cars, talk a good storm (I did most of it :D), and maybe go for a
     quick drive.  First of all, Stanley's car is really clean folks!
     nice...

     Secondly, Stanley has come up with a really great MSD location and the
     installation really looks clean.  I wish I had taken a couple of
     pictures to send to Eric's 2002 WWW page (Stanley? I'd still like to
     to take those pictures for the Fahren Affairs if you get a chance...).

     Third, Stanley is a nicer guy in person than he lets on here on the
     list. I loaned my car to him so he could experience some of the
     differences and he was much to gentle!  So I gave him a ride back to
     the house and I think I scared him.  Nevertheless, I am not a gentle
     driver.  To me it was just another run through one of my favorite
     canyons, but I'm not sure he was ready for my 7/10ths, all the time,
     driving! :)

     We topped off my car with gas and I led him to Ortega Highway in San
     Juan Capistrano, CA.  Ortega is about 27 miles long with both sweeping
     50MPH turns down to 10MPH sharp corners.  It is a favorite road for
     all kinds of drivers from motorcycle road rockets to street legal race
     cars and at the peak is a little roadside stand great for coffee,
     talk, and watching the hang glider people take off toward Lake
     Elsinore below.  We had a little adventure on the way up with a Honda
     Accord that thought law enforcement was her role, but in general a
     very enjoyable run to the top.  I took some pictures from the lookout
     for our local magazine and we talked about cars and life while
     watching a couple of WWII fighter planes do aerobatics and play above
     the valley below.  My biggest faux pas was to take pictures of the
     cars and forget to take pictures of us *with our cars* -- oh well,
     next time.

     The return trip back down the mountain was a little different.  Where,
     on the way up, I kept my foot off the gas so Stanley could keep me in
     sight, I said my goodbyes before leaving and said I was going to
     "enjoy" driving the canyon.  To avoid a blow-by-blow, I "ran" the
     canyon pretty quickly enjoying the beautiful day and pushing the car
     deeper on every turn -- waiting at the bottom, Stanley caught up about
     10 minutes later :).  This was my first full weekend reunited with my
     02 since September and I believe the cobwebs needed to be blown off
     both the car and me!  BTW, Ben Thongsai, your right!  This car is
     going to be very hard to part with... :(

     In conclusion, thanks Stanley for a great day (I need more pictures),
     and yes people do meet off the list! (and not to rub it in to the snow
     belt folks with toys in hibernation, but it was a great weekend for
     driving!).

     Fahr schnell, sei vorsichtig, hab Spass
     Brian