[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002 springs

> From: William Boyd <wboyd@domain.elided>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 20:18:06 -0700 (MST)
> Subject: 2002 springs
>
> The front and rear springs of the normal 2002's appear the same size
> approximately, however the rear ones are 0.5 mm thicker in wire diameter
> and outer winding diameter, and are 3 mm longer as well. However, rear
> springs are 22% stiffer in spring rate than the front springs, a
> significant difference. The blue and white springs would likely be too
> soft. It may be possible to put them in, but could be dangerous. I may be
> wrong but the car might be real twitchy in the rear end and could be
> tricky to drive. Could one possible benefit of such a modification be that
> it would be very difficult to pass such a car in a corner? 8^) Other
> opinions? What's the best compromise for 2002 handling performance and
> daily driving practicality?

I'll say that the front and rear springs are the same diameter, and
approximately the same length.  And that they can be physically swapped.
The spring rates are just different, with the rears being stiffer than
the fronts.  YMMV.

The easiest way, with stock springs, to tell apart the front and rear
ones, is to measure the wire diameter, and count the number of coils.
Front springs should have a wire dia. of approx. 0.472in, with around
7.4 turns.  Rear springs should have a wire diameter of 0.492in,
with 6.95 turns.  It's not too difficult to tell them apart if you
sit them side by side or have a measuring caliper.

> From: KKWollen@domain.elided
> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 07:23:24 -0500
> Subject: Re: 2002 Springs
>
> I have played with '02 springs many times over the last 15 years.  IMHO:
>
> 4.  If you can afford them, put Bilsteins in the car, if you plan to keep it
> for a while.  Unless you are a masochist, get the Bilstein Street shocks for
> the way you appear to drive the car.

IMHO, avoid the Bilstein Sport rears unless you have really stiff springs
to match, and only drive on smooth racetracks.....

I like the Bilstein HD's, but some people do think that they're a bit
stiff on the street.  Although the Bilsteins do carry a lifetime
warranty, are of excellent quality, and seem to last a lifetime.

Ben