[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Boysen vs Bosal mufflers..

Walt commented to Ted, and I add..

>From: Walter G Barie <wgbst4+@domain.elided>
>Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 11:26:14 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: 528i Boysen muffler
>
>> From: tedcrum@domain.elided (Ted Crum)
>> Has anyone ever heard of a Boysen exhaust? I am shopping for an
>> original-style cat-back system for my 528i, and one local supplier has
>> that brand. He says, as I suspect all dealers do about their systems, that
>> they are a supplier to BMW. I know that Factory is best, but BMW wants
>> $700 before CCA.
>>
>> I note that BMW systems now come in two pieces for this car, but no clamps
>> are shown. Should I MIG weld the parts together before installation?
>
>Well Ted, I just recently had to change the muffler on my 528i.  My local
>mechanic ordered a Boysen muffler for my car because is was cheeper than
>other brands.  Supposedly Boysen does supply BMW.  Although it was the
>correct muffler, it fit very poorly (i.e. the bends in the pipes weren't
>exactly correct and it would have required some bending around to get it
>to hang in a stress free way that wasn't touching parts of the car).  So
>we sent it back and ordered a Bosal.  The Bosal was about $30 more but it
>fit perfect.  My system is welded now.  However when I did it before about
>5 years ago I didn't have a welder so I expanded the pipes slighly on the
>muffler and made a slip joint that I just clamped with a u-clamp.  It
>worked fine for 5 years.

My mechanic - who is rarely wrong - suggested the Bosal when BOHICA
needed new pipes..

When we removed the factory original muffler - on the top, besides
the BMW emblem, was the name BOSAL. The new muffler he got me from
his BOSAL distributor, had on the top, besides the name BOSAL, the
BMW roundel.  Makes it sorta obvious doesn't it??  The new muffler
came with all the heat shields installed, and fit like the factory
one - exactly right. No welding, cutting or bending needed.

When I was looking for mufflers - several of the Roundel advertisers
claimed that Boysen was "OEM" - when I asked if it was one piece or
two piece - it was always two piece. My mechanic friend says that
the Boysen is a "used car dealer's muffler" - good enough to take
it off the lot and lasts about a year.

Shop around for the BOSAL - you should be able to beat BMW's
price on it (Rodd Sidney may[!] be able to help you out - I've
never done any dealings with him, but I gather he buys out
dealer inventories when they're going broke, then discounts the
factory parts heavily).

As usual - YMMV!

Don Eilenberger (dje@domain.elided)
  '79 R65 FrankenCycle - der Beemer