[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1988 M3 Questions

Hello Everyone,

All of my questions pertain to my 1988 M3, a car that is my daily drive, but
it is also taken out and 'exercised' at about 5 drivers schools each year.  I
enjoy the schools, but I'm not so competitive that I want to turn my car into
a race car.  I've done a few modifications to the car including stainless
steel brake lines, R1 tires, Cool Carbon brake pads, K&N air filter and a
chip, an Alpine car alarm, and improving brake cooling by removing the fog
lights, adding ducts, 2.5 inch flex tubing, and modified backer plates.

I'd like information about the following:

Mufflers:  Do any of them perform better than the stock muffler?  Are the
stainless steel mufflers really worth $500?  Which mufflers are too loud to
be used on a car that is driven daily?

Exhaust Cam Timing gear:  Is it worth it?  Does it improve torque or HP?  How
hard is it to install?

Lower Control Arm:  These are a weakness in the E30 M3.  They keep breaking.
 I've got the alloy ones installed at the present time, but I've even seen
this improved design break at our drivers schools at Watkins Glen.  I've
heard the control arms from the E36 M3 will fit.  Has anyone done this?  Does
it change the alignment?

Suspensions:  Does anyone have a recommendation for a suspension that is a
good compromise between a street car and a track car?  I'd like to lower the
car a little, and stiffen it up, but I don't want it so stiff that I can't
drive it on our pot-holed roads up here in New York.

Valve Cover Paint:  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can repaint my
valve cover?  The crinkled black paint is coming off, and I'd like to fix it.

Driver's Schools:
I'd also like to announce that the Genesee Valley Chapter will again be
holding our 'Ultimate Drivers Schools' at Watkins Glen NY, on June 10th and
11th, and Sept. 24th and 25th, 1995.  Applications for this school will be
mailed out in mid-March.  If anyone would like more information, I can be
contacted at:

Jim Dresser
550 Linden Street
Rochester NY  14620