[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: door handle switch, tii knocking

> Subject: e28 micro switch
>
> The car in question is an 87 535is.  When I had the drivers side door
> panel off the other day, I noticed a small switch that is activated
> by lifting the exterior door latch.  What is this switch for?  If it
> is not for activating the door lock heater, how is the heater activated?

That switch is indeed for the lock heater.  The switch activates the
heater, and there is a timer device to shut it off after several seconds,
I believe.

> Subject: tii knock on hard accel
>
> My '72 tii runs great, but recently it has started to knock
> a bit on really hard acceleration (what other kind is there?).
> This occurs at about 4500rpm, along with a tiny bit of smoke.
> What is the cause/remedy for this?

This is usually caused by one of two things, gas with too low an
octane rating (a properly running tii requires premium gas), or
excessive igntion advance.

I'd try switching gas stations first, to see if it helps. (BTW, if
you test it and it knocks, BACK OFF, it is not good for the motor
to run it hard while it knocks)  Oh, BTW, are you using the oxygenated
fuels?  This can promote knock by marginally decreasing octane, but
it also causes the car to run lean.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to retard the timing down slightly.
Loosen the pinch bolt, and turn the distributor very slightly clockwise.
Repeat until the knocking goes away.  This is assuming that your distributor
is good and tight, and has a correct advance curve.

Hope this helps,
Ben