[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cell Phone

Excerpts from internet.bmw: 22-Dec-94 bmw-digest V2 #167 by
owner-bmw-digest@balltow
> I am scheduled to have a Motorola Flip Phone installed in a 95 530i. Bell
> Atlantic is going to do it. I have the BMW mount and plate for the
> console ($43 from Hendrick). BA will use the original wiring and the
> built in cellular antenna in the rear window (can't see it). Where does
> the microphone go?
>
> Any opinions on Bell Atlantic? Is the 530i going to be butchered?

Had a Bell Atlantic agent, Harry Survis Auto Center here in Pittsburgh,
install a hard wired Motorola in my '90 535i (same body style as yours).
 Did a SUPERB job.  My car needed an external antenna in the top center
of the rear window (no wiring in the window for a cellular, though there
is for AM/FM -- is that what they're using for yours?).  Mounted the
handset in the center console between the arm rests.  (I thought about
mounting the phone up front to the right of the console.  It would be a
little easier to see and operate there, but I was concerned about it
being uncomfortable for the front seat passenger's left knee.)  Fits
perfectly.  No wires showing at all, except for about four inches of
small black wire emerging from the top of the driver's side "A" pillar
and leading to the visor-mounted microphone.  Cliping it to the visor
keeps the mic close to you and doesn't restrict the visor movement at
all.  The only other wire showing is the little bit of cable from under
the headliner that attaches to the antenna on the rear window.  Since
the flip phone has no internal speaker, they'll have to mount one
somewhere for you or maybe use the radio speakers somehow.

BTW, they won't be able to use the BMW "pre-wiring," except for the
antenna.  It's special and works only with BMW phones.  Surprised me
too, but several different installers told me the same thing and there
was some stuff on this newsgroup about it a while back.

Speaking of that, the BMW installation is really slick.  Works through
the OBC (Onboard Computer) and radio, with remote switches on a steering
column stalk (or maybe on the wheel itself -- can't remember), number
display in the dash, etc., etc.  But, alas, WAY too expensive, as is
BMW's custom.

I'm very happy with my phone though, but I'd get a flip instead of a
hard wired if I had it to do again.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Cheers,