[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 320i charging light on dim

Someone had written about their charging light remaining on dim on
a '78 320i. I had this problem also. Traced it to a corroded wire
to spade lug crimp on the wire running from the threaded post on the
rear of the alternator to the engine. BTW it was REAL hot.

In general I've found a LOT of poor crimps in the wiring on the '77 320i.
THe poor crimp leads to heat which leads to oxidation which leads to
heat which... you get the idea. Check around. I had to completely redo
the big black connector blocks leading from turn signal, washer, and
light stalks into the harness at the harness end. You can carefully remove
the metal connetors from inside the shells (one at a time please) and
open them with a little patience. Cut back a bit to clean wire, solder
the wire, then crimp into the connaector and solder again.

robert moore
'71 2002 (sorta, now my insurance company is suing their insurance company)
'77 320i