[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

weird odor (89 535)

for the past week we have  noticed a weird smell emitting from the engine of

535 (89)  after shutdown.  This very noticeable when the car is parked in
the garage.  The  odor smells like what one can smell when a candle is
put out.

My current theory is that the AC compressor clutch is the source of this
based
on the following observations:

     1- I see orange residue on the belt
     2- Starting the engine cold (after overnite rest), the compressor and
          the front electric fan was kicking in as soon as my wife would
turn
          on the heater fan switch (inside the car).  They would both stop
          in a very short time thereafter.  I understand that this is a
normal
          behavior when the AC switch is on but in this case AC was off.
          The unfortunate thing is I have not been able to reproduce this.
     3- Turning the compressor by hand the motion is not smooth...

To alleviate the problem I disconnected the wiring to the compressor clutch
this past Sunday.  Last night I could still smell the odor.  Was tough to
say if
it was as strong as before.  Since One side of the  compressor clutch
is still turning (driven by the belt), I suspect there  may still be some
contact
and certain amount of damage has already been done.
My next step is to remove the belt and see if the  odor goes away.

Anyway wanted to get your thought on this. Also if the clutch turns out to
be
the  problem can it be replaced separately from the  compressor.

Thanks,

David