[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Moore's Many Questions

Richard-

The short answer to your numerous questions is 'Read the FAQ'.

But you need to know where it is, I suspect.

Directions for the FAQ are at the end of this post; in between I take some
fairly useless swipes at your queries.

>I have a 86 535i and love it.  The only problem is that the automatic
headrests
>don't work, although the motor is running.
I take it you're asking for assistance in fixing the headrests?  Details
exist in the FAQ, but basically I believe the problem is a design flaw, and
the only real resolutions is 'they all do that'.

>I read that a K&N air filter and chip is a good way to increase performance,
>but what about additions to the ignition system..like, new wires, plugs,
coils >and the like.
A K&N filter and aftermarket chip (Dinana, Autothority, Jim Conforti)
combination can add up to 15% to torque and horsepower; I have no idea what
the gains from higher perforance ignition components are, especially on your
car, but I'd be very surprised indeed if they even approached the efficacy of
the filter/chip combination.

>W[h]ere can you get discount parts for your BMW bec aues 30 dollars for
>underhood insulation(one section) seems a little steep.
The Roundel has numerous parts suppliers advertising in its pages; again, a
listing is available in the FAQ.  If you're not a BMWCCA member, you should
certainly join; most dealers will give you a 15% discount on parts when you
present your card, and the Roundel (the BMWCCA magazine) is an excellent
source of information.  Again, directions for joining are in the FAQ.

>What about Duralube and slick 50?
I can send you some very long, detailed reprints on why you don't ever want
to put any PTFE product, such as Duralube or Slick 50, in your engine -
e-mail me directly if you want all the details.  Basically the evidence
indicates that the PTFE powder clogs up cooling channels in the block, and
actually does more harm than good.

FAQ directions:

The FAQ may now be obtained
from balltown.cma.com via one of two methods.

FTP:

anonymous ftp may be used to obtain copies of the FAQ.

ftp ftp.balltown.cma.com
login: anonymous
Password: your-email-address-here
cd misc/Autos/bmw
get README
get FAQ.0
get FAQ.1
get FAQ.19
get FAQ.20

the FAQ is broken down by the chapters; some are empty.
FAQ.0 contains the index; if a chapter is marked with an *
in the index, then the chapter is empty and the file
will only have a chapter heading (FAQ.1, FAQ.5, FAQ.7, and FAQ.14
fit this category.)

the FAQ may also be obtained using email to majordomo@domain.elided
send a message to majordomo, and include in the body commands such as
the following:

index bmw-digest
get bmw-digest README
get bmw-digest FAQ.0